Saudi Arabia reports one more death from new virus
March 14, 2014 12:28 PM
Men wearing surgical masks as a precautionary measure against the novel coronavirus, speak at a hospital in Khobar city in Dammam May 23, 2013. REUTERS/Stringer
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia says a man has died from a new respiratory virus related to SARS, bringing to 63 the deaths in the kingdom at the center of the outbreak.
The Health Ministry said Friday the latest victim, a 19-year-old, died in the city of al-Kharj, southeast of Riyadh. Two of his sisters are in hospital on suspicion they have been infected with the virus. If they prove to be positive, it would further raise the number of people infected.
Saudi Arabia reports 1 more death from new virus
11:25 PM Friday Mar 14, 2014
…..So far, 150 people have been infected in the kingdom since September 2012.
The new virus is related to SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which killed some 800 people in a global outbreak in 2003. It belongs to a family of viruses that most often causes the common cold.
|Updated:||Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 at 04:14 UTC|
|The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) revealed Tuesday it has been informed of two additional laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in Saudi Arabia. The case pertains to a 58-year-old man from Al-Ahsa province, who took ill on February 2 and was hospitalized on February 4. He recovered from the infection and was discharged from hospital on February 24. The patient suffered from multiple chronic diseases, and was reported to have had contact with animals. The second case is an 81 year-old woman from the Riyadh region. She had multiple underlying medical conditions, and was hospitalized on February 2. She developed symptoms of MERS on February 5 and died three days later. WHO said she had no reported contact with animals prior to falling ill. From September 2012 to date, WHO has been informed of a total of 186 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV globally, including 81 deaths. Based on the current situation and available information, WHO urged all Member-States to continue their surveillance for Severe Acute Respiratory Infections (SARI) and carefully review any unusual patterns. WHO stressed that recent travelers returning from the Middle East who develop SARI should be tested for MERS-CoV as advised in the current surveillance recommendations. “WHO does not advise special screening at points of entry with regard to this event nor does it currently recommend the application of any travel or trade restrictions,” the press release read.|