(Reuters) – Virginia Governor and possible Republican presidential candidate Bob McDonnell used taxpayer money to pay for sunscreen and dog vitamins, the Washington Post reported on Monday, adding to other improper spending the paper says the FBI is investigating.
McDonnell and his wife also used state employees to run personal errands for their adult children and billed the state for deodorant, shoe repairs and a digestive system “detox cleanse,” the newspaper said, citing spending records it obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.
The Washington Post previously reported that the FBI and a grand jury were investigating a $15,000 catering bill that a campaign donor paid for McDonnell’s daughter’s wedding in 2011.
A McDonnell spokesman, Paul Shanks, told Reuters by email the “reimbursement process that is followed today is the same as the one followed in past years” by previous administrations.
Shanks said the Washington Post article “completely misstates the process and misinforms readers as to how it functions.” He said the governor’s family gets invoices and then reimburses the state for any personal expenses.
The governor has acknowledged that he stayed at the Roanoke, Virginia, home of the campaign donor, Jonnie Williams, and drove Williams’ Ferrari sports car back to Richmond.
- Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell billed taxpayers for detox cleanse, dog vitamins (rawstory.com)
- Governor billed taxpayers for sunscreen, dog vitamins (dvorak.org)
- Virginia governor billed taxpayers for sunscreen, dog vitamins: report (conservativeread.com)
- Energy Drinks for Breakfast? Governor Bob McDonnell Says Yes (washingtonian.com)
- McDonnell used taxpayer money for personal items, Post reports (wjla.com)
- Governor questions Washington Post report on staff emails (wtvr.com)
- FBI Inquiry Into Ties to Donor Clouds Virginia Governor’s Future (bloomberg.com)
- Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell’s Approval Sending GOP A Message (richardbaris.wordpress.com)
- Republican cites IRS scandal in close Virginia governor’s race (xe.com)
- Virginia Governor Billed Taxpayers For Sunscreen, Dog Vitamins (radio.foxnews.com)