Thousands blockade European Central Bank in Frankfurt (VIDEO, PHOTOS)
Published time: May 31, 2013 08:12
Edited time: May 31, 2013 13:50
The entrance of the ECB is blocked by over 3,000 ‘Blockupy’ protesters in a march against austerity. ‘Blockupy’ has announced the coalition has “reached its first goal” of the day.
Anti-capitalist protesters have taken to the streets of the financial heart of Frankfurt a day ahead of Europe-wide gatherings planned for June 1 to protest leaders handling of the three-year euro debt crisis.
“We call up everyone to join our protests.”
The ECB spokesman told The Guardian that the Blockupy protests have not disturbed day to day operations at the bank, but would not specify how many bankers managed to come to work.
Apart from those who amassed outside the ECB, a smaller demonstration took place at the nearby Deutsche Bank AG (DBK) headquarters, where around 50 police vehicles had been deployed. The protesters set off by midday.
The crowd, estimated at 2,500 by local authorities, clutched signs demanding ‘humanity before profit’.
Rain-soaked and dressed in ponchos, the crowd is equipped with a wide array of protest props- vuvuzelas, yellow wigs, pots and pans, and mattresses with the spray-painted slogan ‘War Starts Here’.
‘Blockupy’ has become a top-ten Twitter trend in Frankfurt, and at 10:09am (08:09 GMT), user Enough14 tweeted, “Strong Powerful blockade at Kaiserstr. Not one banker will come through here,” in reference to the ECB headquarters.
- Thousands blockade European Central Bank in Frankfurt (sott.net)
- ‘Masters of Austerity’ Targeted as Blockupy Activists Shut Down European Central Bank (commondreams.org)
- The entrance of the ECB ( European Central Bank in Frankfurt)is blocked by over 3,000 ‘Blockupy’ protestors in a march against austerity. (planet.infowars.com)
- Blockupy hold anti-austerity protests in Frankfurt; surround the ECB; against austerity and food price speculation (maxkeiser.com)
- ‘Blockupy’ Frankfurt tries to prevent access to European Central Bank (euronews.com)
- Top News: Eurozone crisis live: Blockupy hold anti-austerity protests, as unemployment data awaited (guardian.co.uk)
- Thousands blockade European Central Bank in Frankfurt (thedailysheeple.com)
- Anti-austerity protest at ECB in Frankfurt (thehindu.com)
- Protesters surround ECB office in Frankfurt (irishtimes.com)
- Thousands blockade European Central Bank in Frankfurt (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)