Threatening letters referencing gun control efforts were sent to the president and the mayor
NBC 4 New York
A person of interest is being questioned in connection with threatening letters sent to President Barack Obama, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his anti-gun group, according to law enforcement officials. Jonathan Dienst reports.
A person of interest is being questioned in connection with threatening letters sent to President Barack Obama, Mayor Bloomberg and the mayor’s anti-gun group, according to law enforcement officials.
Authorities were questioning the Texas man to see if he had information related to the threatening letters, which were similar in content and bore the same postmark on the envelopes. Two of them, sent to Bloomberg and Mark Glaze, the director of the anti-gun group, have tested positive for poisonous ricin. Officials were testing the letter addressed to Obama to see if it contained ricin as well.
The man is described as an Army veteran who is a contractor with the Department of Defense. He has connections to Shreveport, La., where the letters were postmarked, but is not considered a suspect at this time, several officials said.
The interview with the man is just one possible lead in the case, and officials emphasize the development is still part of the early stages of their investigation.
The threatening letter mailed to Obama was received Wednesday at an off-site facility and did not reach the White House, according to the Secret Service.
“This letter has been turned over to the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force for testing and investigation,” said Brian Leary, a Secret Service spokesman.
The text of the mailings threatened: “what’s in this letter is nothing compared to what I’ve got planned for you,” police and law enforcement sources said. A photo of the letter sent to Bloomberg, obtained by NBC 4 New York, is pictured below.
- Michael Bloomberg Unphased by Threatening Ricin Letters – TheUrbanTwist.com (theurbantwist.com)
- Third ricin letter threatens Obama over ‘God-given’ gun rights (rawstory.com)
- Letters containing ricin sent to New York mayor Michael Bloomberg (guardian.co.uk)
- Union: NY mayor threats postmarked Shreveport, La. (bostonherald.com)
- Possible Ricin Letter Sent To President Obama (4umf.com)
- Officials: Obama and Bloomberg ricin letters similar (newsday.com)
- Ricin Letter Sent to NYC Mayor: Police (nbcnewyork.com)
- Ricin letters to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg postmarked in Louisiana (abclocal.go.com)
- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg not intimidated by ricin-laced letters (cbsnews.com)
- Bloomberg letters ‘contained ricin’ (bbc.co.uk)