Published on Feb 22, 2013
Environmental leader, eco-feminist, philosopher, and quantum physicist, Vandana Shiva’s expertise seems to have no limits. She has become a globally respected activist for grassroots and alternative globalization movements, biodiversity, bioethics, intellectual property rights, and sustainable living. Some of her books include Staying Alive (1988), The Violence of the Green Revolution (1992), Monocultures of the Mind (1993), Biopiracy (1997), Water Wars (2002), Earth Democracy (2005), and Soil Not Oil (2008). Shiva’s scholarship and activism has been recognized internationally and she has won numerous awards, including the Right Livelihood Award, considered the Alternative Nobel Prize.
Ian Mauro is a Canada Research Chair in “human dimensions of environmental change” at Mount Allison University, in Sackville, New Brunswick. He is both a researcher and filmmaker, with a PhD in environmental science, and his work focuses on hunter, farmer and fisher knowledge regarding environmental change, specifically issues related to food security and climate change. He first interviewed Dr. Shiva in 2002, as part of his doctoral research on farmer knowledge and biotechnology in the Canadian prairies, which in part resulted in the documentary film Seeds of Change (http://www.seedsofchangefilm.org/). He subsequently went on to make various films, including Qapirangajuq: Inuit Knowledge and Climate Change (http://www.isuma.tv/lo/en/inuit-knowl…), with acclaimed Inuk filmmaker Zacharias Kunuk, as well as the Climate Change in Atlantic Canada project (http://www.climatechangeatlantic.com).
The conversation between Drs. Mauro and Shiva took place on February 26th, 2012 at Mount Allison University, with a full audience of 300+ people. This was Shiva’s only New Brunswick event, on a larger Maritime tour, and she went beyond the surface issues facing our world today and explored, through conversation, the solutions and deep changes required for humans to find a more balanced relationship with the earth and each other.
For more information about Dr. Vandana Shiva, visit the Navdanya website: http://www.navdanya.org/
- Shiva brings anti-GMO message to Kaua’i (thegardenisland.com)
- Vandana Shiva: ‘Seeds must be in the hands of farmers’ (guardian.co.uk)
- Seed savers: Vandana Shiva and female farmers stand up to Monsanto (grist.org)
- Get Rid Of The Slavery of Life: Patented Seeds (nextworldtv.com)
- ‘Seed Freedom’ draws hundreds (thegardenisland.com)
- Perennial Plate in India: GMOs and Farmer Suicides (civileats.com)
- Vandana Shiva On Strombo: Full Extended Interview (p3permaculture.wordpress.com)
- Food Poisoning on a Global Scale (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)