The House of Representatives said it would question the National Intelligence Agency (BIN) next week over a report saying Indonesia was complicit in the US Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) secret operation to detain and torture suspected terrorists worldwide following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
“The publication of the report has apparently gained public attention. Thus, we will ask the BIN for explanation in a hearing slated for next week,” Mahfudz Siddiq, the chairman of the House’s Commission I overseeing defense and foreign affairs, said on Thursday.
Mahfudz said the nation’s spy agency had yet to inform the commission about such a partnership with the CIA.
“We want to know details about the engagement of our intelligence body with the CIA operation because although BIN can work together with foreign agencies in a covert operation, it’s wrong to torture as we have ratified the UN Convention Against Torture,” Mahfudz of the Islamic-based Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) said.
Indonesia ratified the UN Convention Against Torture in October 1998, an international human rights instrument that prohibits the direct use of torture as well as the deportation of people to countries where they will evidently be tortured.
BIN Spokesperson Ruminta did not respond to The Jakarta Post’s text messages or phone calls for comment.
- Globalizing Torture: CIA Secret Detention and Extraordinary Rendition (dogmaandgeopolitics.wordpress.com)
- More Than 50 Countries Helped the CIA Outsource Torture (alhittin.com)
- Brennan rejects CIA torture claims in confident display at Senate hearing (guardian.co.uk)
- More Than 50 Countries Helped the CIA Outsource Torture (wired.com)
- Politics, money and personal enmity leave Indonesia’s once-proud soccer tradition in tatters (timescolonist.com)
- More Than 50 Countries Helped the CIA Outsource Torture (readersupportednews.org)
- CIA used ISI facilities in Karachi, says US report (dawn.com)
- 54 countries helped CIA to kidnap, detain and torture – report (rt.com)
- | Report lists 54 Foreign Govts helping CIA torture, detain, + transport suspects after 9/11! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- Globalizing Torture: 54 Countries Helped CIA to Kidnap, Detain and Torture (dissidentvoice.org)