A waitress says she was fired from her job at Applebee’s after posting a note from a pastor who refused to tip, writing that “I give God 10% Why do you get 18.”
The waitress, who identified herself only as Chelsea, told The Consumerist that she originally posted the photo on the atheist section of social media website Reddit as a “lighthearted joke.”
“I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical,” she explained. “I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining.”
On the receipt she posted, Applebee’s computer system had added an automatic 18 percent gratuity because the dinner party had eight or more people. But the customer scratched out the $6.29 tip and wrote “0.” The receipt included a note about giving God 10 percent and a signature which indicated that the diner was a “pastor.”
“My mistake sir, I’m sure Jesus will pay for my rent and groceries,” Chelsea wrote on Reddit on Wednesday along with a photo of the receipt.
The waitress said that the she failed to redact the signature because she thought it was illegible, but Internet sleuths began using it to obtain the pastor’s identity.
Read Full Article Here
And then there’s this…
The Applebee’s waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.
Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch’s manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee’s that the ensuing firestorm had “ruined” her reputation.
“I give God 10%,” Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic “0″ where the additional tip would be. “Why do you get 18?” (There were more than eight people in Bell’s party, triggering the auto-tip.)
Welch, who snapped a photo of the bill from a fellow server and uploaded to Reddit, defended her right to post the receipt. “I thought the note was insulting, but also comical,” she told Consumerist.com. “And I thought other users would find it entertaining.”
Sanctimonious Pastor Alois Bell – Applebees Customer – Outed as a cheapskate and demands all workers, employees, and managers fired !!
This story is not about leaving a waitress a tip, or the absence thereof. It’s more about the institutional mindset of the BGI, the transendance of all other priorities in affirmation -and loyalty to- the BGI entrenched ideology [See also Colin Powell], and one participants response when their character and motivation is dragged to the sunlight.
Employees have on occasion been guilty of doctoring receipts to say offensive things. There was the Hooters receipt that referred to two Korean immigrant customers as “Chinx” (they filed suit), the Maryland RadioShack employee who called a customer an “ugly itch” on her receipt, from “ghettohood, usa.”
But customers can get creative on receipts too, as with the Applebee’s receipt that advised the server to “Stop eating b*tch!” And like the restaurant customer — purportedly a pastor — who scratched out the automatic 18 percent gratuity, and scribbled in: “I Give God 10% Why do you get 18,” according to a photograph recently posted to the online forum Reddit, and picked up by the Consumerist.
The self-described server who posted the photo said on the Reddit thread that the gratuity was only included because it was a table of 20, and only parties under eight can choose to tip how much they like. “It’s in the computer,” he writes, “it’s not something I do.”
UPDATE: After the receipt went viral, Pastor Alois Bell, of the St. Louis-based Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries, reportedly called up the Applebee’s and demanded that everyone involved — from servers to the managers –be fired, reports Gawker. While the entire staff wasn’t fired en masse, the waitress who posted the receipt to Reddit was canned.
- Applebee’s fires waitress for exposing pastor’s ‘give God 10%’ no-tip receipt (rawstory.com)
- Applebee’s Fires Tip-Complaint Waitress (drudge.com)
- Waitress Fired From Applebee’s After Posting Receipt Where Pastor Complained About Auto-Tip (chicagoist.com)
- Applebee’s fires waitress for exposing pastor’s ‘give God 10%’ no-tip receipt (sott.net)
- Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee’s, Claims Her Reputation Was Ruined (gawker.com)
- Waitress fired for posting pastor’s receipt online (news.yahoo.com)
- Sanctimonious Pastor Alois Bell – Applebees Customer – Outed as a cheapskate and demands all workers, employees, and managers fired !! (theconservativetreehouse.com)
- Applebee”s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip (radio.woai.com)
- Applebee”s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip (1045wfla.com)
- Pastor To Waitress: ‘I Give God 10% Why Do You Get 18;’ Then Gets Waitress Fired (alan.com)