== 5:30 p.m. ==
The bulk of the evidence against Brown in the indictment consists of threats he allegedly tweeted and YouTubed in the weeks leading up to his arrest — most of them aimed at his longtime FBI foil, Agent Robert Smith. Some of those alleged threats were physical, while others were efforts to “dox” Smith — to post personal information about him and his family online.
The indictment highlights a September YouTube video series in which Brown tells his viewers: “That’s why [the agent’s] life is over, but when I say his life is over, I don’t say I’m going to kill him, but I am going to ruin his life and look into his [expletive] kids.”
In the video comments, Brown allegedly asked his viewers to send him any info they had on Smith.
Other alleged threats are even darker, like Brown’s tweets urging his fans to learn to shoot and stock up on ammo. Or the video in which he says he will regard any federal law-enforcement raids as assassination attempts and “shoot all of them and kill them if they come.”
In one video, the indictment states, Brown said he always knew he would die before he turned 40 and “I wouldn’t mind going out with two FBI sidearms like a [expletive] Egyptian Pharaoh.”
== 4:30 p.m. ==
We just got word that Barrett Brown, the self-proclaimed spokesman for the affiliation of worldwide hackers known as Anonymous, has been indicted on three federal charges: making an online threat, retaliating against a federal officer and conspiring to release the personal information of a U.S. government employee.
Serious charges, but not totally unexpected. Authorities raided Brown’s apartment and arrested him last month while he was chatting online with Anonymous folks. A recording of his screams as he was handcuffed went viral, and an Anonymous sect retaliated hours later by releasing what it claimed were the credit card numbers of government employees.
Since then, Brown’s been in federal custody
in Seagoville, and is currently at a Fort Worth detention center.
You can read the indictment after the jump, but be warned that it’s full of offensive language. I’ll be digging into it myself presently, and we’ll have more details shortly.
Barrett Brown Indictment
- Dallas man linked to Anonymous hackers indicted (cnsnews.com)
- Media’s favorite Anonymous hacktivist charged with conspiracy against FBI agents (rt.com)
- Anonymous Associate Barrett Brown Indicted on Federal Charges (betabeat.com)
- Dallas man linked to Anonymous hackers indicted (wtvm.com)
- Dallas man linked to Anonymous hackers indicted (heraldonline.com)
- Feds indict self-proclaimed Anonymous spokesman Barrett Brown on retaliation, conspiracy charges (blacklistednews.com)
- Dallas man linked to Anonymous hackers indicted (wfaa.com)
- Texas man linked to Anonymous arrested (stuff.co.nz)
- Hacking group activist’s posts land him in trouble (technology.inquirer.net)