The Survivalist Blog.net
by M.D. Creekmore on 02/08/2012
This is a guest post and entry in our non-fiction writing contest by Robin S
This article is about the benefits of sauerkraut for a healthy gut flora, which in turn means a strengthened immune system. Most folks do not have healthy gut flora because of the foods we eat, medications, bad water, pollution etc. Most foods we eat now are either GMO, full of pesticides, grown in poor soil, cooked to death etc.
Even fresh or “organic” fruits/veggies from grocery stores are NOT the same as even 10 years ago. Food is grown all over the world and shipped to the stores so it was either picked at the wrong time or preserved in some way to arrive “fresh”. Unless you planted and grew the food yourself you really don’t know what your eating.
Most food nowadays should be labeled “frankenfood”. You cannot eat enough store-bought yogurt to get the beneficial bacteria. Besides it has high fructose corn syrup and is pasteurized, in other words dead food!
There is something you can do about it. Learn the art of preserving food by fermentation. Fermentation by lactobacilli is introduced naturally, as these air-borne bacteria culture on raw cabbage leaves where they grow. Start by making sauerkraut. (Keep in mind that sauerkraut on the store shelf is dead food and doesn’t “count” to boost good gut flora). Along the same lines as grapes to wine, or making sourdough, both great subjects for another time!
To begin with it is much easier to start with the “right” “tools”! Purchase a fermenting crock either on Amazon or at Lehmans. (The German crocks come with the weights). This style crock is designed well because as your cabbage (or other veggies) is fermenting it allows the gas to escape yet air cannot get in and spoil the food your preserving. You can do it in a straight sided crock it’s just not as easy!
- Individual Preparedness Program: My Primal Preparedness Pantry (survivalsherpa.wordpress.com)
- How to ferment autumn vegetables (telegraph.co.uk)
- Affirmation, Gratitude and Sauerkraut (happinessheals.wordpress.com)
- Firefly Kitchens, bringing health through fermented foods (ballardnewstribune.com)
- New research has once again revealed, nature has provided some of the best substances for preventing bone loss right in the foods you eat. (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Preserving Food 101 (chelseagreen.com)