Sen. John McCain
Updated 12:52 pm ET. Always one to speak — or Tweet — his mind, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) Monday made a joke comparing Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey, something one Republican congressman charged was “racist.”
“So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space – wasn’t he just there last week?” McCain said in a tweet that also linked to a story about Iran launching a monkey into space.
Some didn’t take so kindly to the not-so-diplomatic quip, prompting McCain, 76, to respond: “Re: Iran space tweet – lighten up folks, can’t everyone take a joke?”
Seeing that, Michigan congressman Rep. Justin Amash, 32, shot back.
“Maybe you should wisen up & not make racist jokes,” Amash tweeted.
- McCain compares Iranian leader to monkey (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- John McCain Called ‘Racist’ for Referring to Ahmadinejad as Space ‘Monkey’ (theatlanticwire.com)
- McCain compares Iranian leader to monkey; draws GOP charge of racism (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- In Old Racist GOP White Folks News: John McCain Compares Iranian Leader To Monkey (bossip.com)
- Sen. McCain said what about Ahmadinejad? (tv.msnbc.com)
- Rep. Amash: McCain joke likening Ahmadinejad to monkey ‘racist’ (thehill.com)
- John McCain: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a Space Monkey! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- McCain Calls Ahmadinejad a Monkey (drudge.com)
- GOP Congressman Calls McCain Racist for Ahmadinejad Joke (pjmedia.com)
- Was John McCain’s Ahmadinejad Monkey Tweet Racist? (usnews.com)