Tornado touches down in Tulsa area
At least one tornado touched down Thursday evening in the Tulsa area, the National Weather Service says.
The tornado touched down in the Tulsa suburb of Broken Arrow. It’s not clear how much damage the storm caused as it moved through.
Earlier in the day, tornadoes touched down in Oklahoma and Arkansas, injuring at least nine people.
The weather service said a tornado touched ground Thursday near the town of Perkins in northeast Oklahoma. A second tornado was reported near Ripley, about 10 miles to the east. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
A third twister was reported near Oden, Ark., a rural area in the western part of the state, injuring at least one resident whose home was destroyed.
The weather service said the threat of tornadoes for eastern Oklahoma and northwest and west-central Arkansas remained through Thursday night. Tennis-ball-size hail, strong wind and isolated flooding were a concern.
“Right now we’ve been getting a few thunderstorms, but they’re very severe supercell thunderstorms,” says meteorologist Michael Scotten. “The whole storm rotates, and they produce on occasion some tornadoes and heavy hail.”
Oklahoma is still reeling from the devastating May 20 twister that hit the city of Moore, killing 24 and injuring more than 250.
- New Oklahoma Tornadoes Injure 9; Another Hits Arkansas (theepochtimes.com)
- Tornado warnings in central Oklahoma (cnn.com)
- Tornadoes touch down in Oklahoma and Arkansas (kansascity.com)
- Tornadoes touch down in Okla. as storms pass (wcnc.com)
- UPDATE: Multiple tornadoes touch down in Oklahoma, Arkansas (globalnews.ca)
- Injuries Reported In Arkansas Tornado (wreg.com)
- Tornadoes Touch Down in Okla. as Storms Pass (abcnews.go.com)
- Tornado touches down in Tulsa area (thenewstribune.com)
- Tornadoes touch down in Okla. as storms pass (ktvb.com)