WASHINGTON — Peg Perego recalled hundreds of thousands of strollers Tuesday because children can become trapped and strangled between trays on them. One death has already been reported.
A six-month-old boy from Tarzana, Calif. died of strangulation in a stroller in 2004, while a seven-month-old girl from New York was nearly strangled in 2006, according to Peg Perego USA Inc. The company said entrapment and strangulation can take place, particularly among those younger than a year old, when the child is not harnessed into the stroller. If unharnessed, children can pass through the opening between the tray and the seat bottom and the child’s neck and head can become trapped by the tray.
Peg Perego is recalling approximately 223,000 strollers, which include Venezia and Pliko-P3 strollers in various colors, made between January 2004 and September 2007.
Only strollers with a child tray and one cup holder are part of the recall. Strollers with a bumper bar in front of the child or a tray with two cup holders are not included in this recall.
The company said the strollers were made before a voluntary industry standard was implemented in January 2008 that addresses the height of the opening between the stroller’s tray and the seat bottom. The voluntary standard requires larger stroller openings that prevent infant entrapment and strangulation hazards.
The model numbers are:
Pliko-P3 Stroller Model Numbers Venezia Stroller Model Numbers
IPFR28US34xxxxxxxx IPPF28NA32 IPVA13MU09
IPFT28NA63 IPPF28NA57 IPVA13MU10
IPFT28NA64 IPPF28NA65 IPVA13US09
IPP328MU10 IPPF28NA66 IPVA13US10
IPP328MU09 IPPF28NA67 IPVA13US32
IPP328US09 IPPF28NA68 IPVA13US34
IPP328US10 IPPO28US32 IPVC13NA32
IPP329US10 IPPO28US34 IPVC13NA34
The model number is located on a white label on the back of the Pliko P-3′s stroller seat and on the Venezia stroller’s footboard. “Peg Perego” and “Venezia” or “Pliko-P3″ are printed on the side of the strollers.
The Pliko-P3 strollers were sold for between $270 and $330, while the Venezia strollers sold for $350 to $450. The strollers were sold at various retailers, including Buy Buy Baby and Babies R Us.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the strollers and contact Peg Perego for a free repair kit at (888) 734-6020 or on its web site, http://www.PegPeregoUSA.com.
Contours Tandem LT stroller
Today Kolcraft announced a voluntary recall in cooperation with the CPSC. Although we have made many strollers with the name Contours only the Contours LT Tandem Stroller with model number ZT012 is part of this recall. You can find your model number on a paper label found on the top, rear edge of your stroller seat pad or on a sticker on the rear leg of your stroller frame.
The front wheel assembly can break, posing a fall hazard to the child in the stroller. In addition, for strollers manufactured in January and February 2012, the nuts that hold the stroller’s basket support screws in place can detach. Detached nuts can pose a choking hazard to young children. There have been no injuries reported.
If you have one of these models, please call (800)-453-7673 Monday-Thursday from 8 AM -6:45 PM and Friday 8 AM to 3:30 PM EST to order a free repair kit.
The Kolcraft family remains committed to making the best products for your children and we apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.
- Company Recalls 223,000 Strollers After Child’s Death (huffingtonpost.com)
- Peg Perego Recalls Strollers Due to Risk of Entrapment and Strangulation; One Child Death Reported (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Peg Perego recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers after baby’s death (foxnews.com)
- Major Stroller Recall (thesugarbabiesonline.com)
- Peg Perego strollers recalled for tray malfunction (wjla.com)
- Peg Perego Recalls Strollers After A Child Dies (todayinchildsafety.com)
- Company Recalls Thousands of Strollers (abcnews.go.com)
- Peg Perego Recalls 223,000 Strollers (whnt.com)
- Company recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers (mercurynews.com)
- Company recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers (goerie.com)
- Kolcraft Recalls Tandem Strollers (todayinchildsafety.com)
- Company recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers (news.yahoo.com)
- Company recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers (miamiherald.com)
- Company recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers (newsobserver.com)
- Company recalls hundreds of thousands of strollers (staradvertiser.com)