Published on Jun 10, 2013
The CELESTIAL Convergence |
June 10, 2013 – GERMANY – Tens of thousands of people have been forced to leave their homes as the River Elbe burst through a dam and flooded parts of eastern Germany.
Today the Elbe breached another levee on its relentless march towards the North Sea, forcing Germany to evacuate ten villages and close one of the country’s main railway routes.
Upstream there was some relief as the river slipped back from record levels in Magdeburg, the capital of Saxony-Anhalt state.
At least 21 flood-related deaths have been in reported in central Europe following a week of heavy rain, leading to rivers swelling and extensive damage.
The latest confirmed death was an 80-year-old man in Austria who died of a heart attack yesterday during the clean-up operation in the wake of floods.
Magdeburg had water levels more than 16ft above normal over the weekend, although the Elbe has now retreated by about a foot.
More than 23,000 people had to leave their homes in the city when the electricity was cut off and streets flooded.
But further downstream, a levee at Fischbeck, west of Berlin, was breached overnight, prompting officials to evacuate ten villages in the area.
Germany’s national railway had to close a bridge near Fischbeck on the line from Berlin to Cologne, Frankfurt and Amsterdam.
Residents in the Rothensee neighbourhood of Magdeburg were evacuated with tanks, trucks and buses.
‘Rothensee is filling up like a bathtub,’ army spokesman Andre Sabzog told news agency dpa.
Around 700 soldiers were trying to build a dam of sandbags around a power substation to protect it from the Elbe.
If the substation floods, thousands of households would be left without water and it would lead to a breakdown of the neighborhood’s dewatering pumps.
The CELESTIAL Convergence |
- Flood – Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg [Elbe River] : More than 80,000 emergency personnel including firefighters and soldiers were on duty and more than 15,000 people to evacuate the eastern city of Magdeburg (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Germany evacuates residents in flood zone (smh.com.au)
- Germany’s Merkel visits flooded area (bigpondnews.com)
- Swollen Elbe River Breaches New Levee in Germany (theepochtimes.com)
- Elbe dam breaks; mass evacuation in Germany (thehindu.com)
- Central Europe under water: Floods wreak havoc in Germany and Hungary (independent.co.uk)
- Dam breaks on flood-swollen River Elbe in eastern Germany; thousands forced to leave homes around city of Magdeburg – @BBCNews (bbc.co.uk)
- Thousands of Germans evacuate as dam on Elbe river breaks (reuters.com)
- Flooding in Europe: Swollen Elbe River Breaches Levee, Forces 23,000 People to Evacuate (blackchristiannews.com)
- Thousands of Germans evacuate as dam on Elbe river breaks – Yahoo! News (2012indyinfo.com)