|At least six people were confirmed dead due to incidents caused by Typhoon Lando over the weekend, according to reports reaching authorities. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), which is based in Quezon City, has reported three fatalities as of late Monday afternoon – one in Quezon City due to an accident involving a fallen tree, one in Benguet due to landslide, and one in Zambales due to a collapsed wall. Meanwhile, the Regional Disaster Risk and Reduction Management in Region III reported four fatalities, including the one in Zambales, as of 6 p.m. Monday. The three other fatalities were two from Nueva Ecija and one in Tarlac. The latest NDRRMC report said five were injured while one was missing. “Para po sa ating casualties, may naitala po tayo na tatlo po na namatay, lima pong injured and isa po ang kasalukuyan na nawawala,” Mina Marasigan, NDRRMC spokesperson, said in a press briefing in Camp Aguinaldo. “Yung sa ating mga namatay na mga biktima, isa po mula sa Zambales, isa [sa] Quezon City, at isa po mula Benguet na ang dahilan po nito ay landslide, dun po sa ating injured ay isa pa rin po sa Zambales, apat po sa Quezon City,” she added. An earlier NDRRMC report identified two of the fatalities as 14-year-old Aron Castillo, who was pinned down by a fallen tree in Quezon City, and 62-year-old Benita Famanilay, who was pinned down by a collapsed wall in Subic, Zambales.
A report by the Office of Civil Defense in the Cordillera Autonomous Region identified the latest fatality as Fernando Laso Gumpad, 57, a resident of Bakun, Benguet. According to the report, the victim went to tend to his farm at around 8 a.m. on Sunday but failed to return home in the afternoon, prompting his wife and son to look for him. “At around 6 p.m. of the same day, his wife and son decided to follow him and saw a landslide near their farm. The wife and son suspected that the victim was buried so they subsequently grabbed a crowbar and grabhoe to dig. The victims lifeless body was reported via cellphone call at around 12:30 a.m. on October 19, 2015,” it said. Meanwhile, the Philippine Coast Guard said seven people died while two others were missing when a passenger banca capsized off Iloilo City on Sunday during the height of Typhoon Lando. Although reports like this indicate a higher death toll, Marasigan said NDRRMC only recorded three fatalities so far as reports need to undergo a stringent validation and confirmation process. “Katulad ng mga report na natatanggap natin mula sa ating ahensya, ito ay dumadaan pa sa confirmation at validation. Di tayo nagre-rely lang sa mga nakukuha natin mula sa social media at sa mga initial reports na binibigay. Ang mahalaga kasi dito ay may body count, may identification, at maitatala nating related nga ito sa bagyo,” she said. Typhoon Lando has affected a total of 283,486 individuals in Regions 1, 2, 3, 5, Calabarzon (Calamba, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon) and the CAR. Of this number, 132, 621 individuals are staying with their families. Marasigan said the NDRRMC is continuously monitoring the rise of water in the Ambuklao, Binga and Magat Dams. A total of 36 road sections and 18 bridges, meanwhile, have been rendered impassable due to floods and possible landslides.