NC WARN Hosts Dr. Steve Wing
Published on Dec 9, 2013
Epidemiologist Dr. Steve Wing discusses the human impacts of the nuclear disaster at Fukushima based on his experience visiting the area.
Epidemiologist back from Fukushima: “We’re talking about a sacrifice zone and millions of people live in this area” — Exceeds allowable radiation dose for nuclear workers 40 kilometers from Fukushima plant (VIDEO)
At 18:00 in
Epidemiologist Dr. Steve Wing, University of North Carolina — Chapel Hill, discusses the human impacts of the Fukushima nuclear disaster based on his visit to the area: This reading here, just to put it in perspective, the guard there if he stood there for a year, right where he is now in this picture, he would exceed the allowable radiation dose for a nuclear workers inside a plant. And this is 40 kilometers away. So we’re talking about a sacrifice zone, and millions of people live in this area.
So the guard — can you see on the ground behind the guard there’s a metal plate? He’s supposed to stand on that metal plate, and that’s his protection. And he’s wearing a surgical mask, and he has a helmet. It made me feel kind of bad, that here is someone that’s working in a radiation exposed job and he’s been issued a surgical mask and a helmet as though he’s supposed to feel protected.
- Cesium in fish off Chiba coast exceeds radiation limit for first time — 200 kilometers from Fukushima plant — Due east of Tokyo February 18, 2013
- Video: Kids walk in park 3 times more radioactive than ‘radiation control area’ — 100 kilometers from Fukushima Daiichi — “Must be closed immediately” June 4, 2013
- Japan Expert: Second explosion was “more like a bomb” at Fukushima — Spent nuclear fuel flew 30 kilometers away, pellets collected by military — Very strange materials like europium were found — Should have evacuated out to 300 kilometers (VIDEO) October 7, 2013
- Video: Years later, deaths occur frequently in city 85 kilometers from Fukushima plant — Area is contaminated and residents don’t know it March 3, 2013
- U.S. Physician: Of course Fukushima contamination will impact our health, “This is random murder” — TV: Scientists say it’s suicidal for gov’t to allow residents to live near radiation hotspots by plant (VIDEO) November 17, 2013