Earth Watch Report - Volcanic Activity
|01.06.2013||Volcano Activity||Philippines||Island of Luzon, [Mount Mayon volcano]|
|Volcanologists have raised the state of alertness around Mount Mayon to Level 1 after the volcano exhibited some abnormalities, such as the emission of buish steam and weak but persistent crater glow, an official of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said Saturday morning. Ed Laguerta, Phivolcs resident volcanologist, said that aside from steam emission and crater glow the agency’s instruments have detected a slight bulging or inflation of the volcano’s edifice since Friday afternoon. He explained the edifice’s slight deformation and crater glow may be an indication that magma activity is increasing inside the volcano. The raising of the volcanic alarm prompted the Albay Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to issue a public notice strictly prohibiting any “human activity” inside the six-kilometer Permanent Danger Zone around the volcano. Albay Governor Joey Salceda directed local disaster councils, various village chiefs, the police and the military to enforce the “no human activity” restriction, including mountain climbing, farming, orchids gathering and ATV (all terrain vehicle) tours within the danger zone. On May 7, a steam-driven phreatic explosion sent a three-kilometer high ash cloud and killed four German mountaineers and a local guide, when rocks fell on them while they were scaling the volcano.|
Philippine Mayon volcano exhibiting abnormal behavior
English.news.cn 2013-06-01 20:52:44
MANILA, June 1 (Xinhua) — Alert Level on Mayon Volcano in northern Philippine province of Albay has been risen to Level 1 after exhibiting abnormal behavior, a state agency said Saturday.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology ( PHIVOLCS) said that in the past 36 hours, three weeks after phreatic explosion on May 7, fumes and crater glow were observed.
“PHIVOLCS is raising the alert status of Mayon from Alert Level 0 to Alert Level 1 as a precaution to the public that the volcano is exhibiting abnormal behavior,” it said in a Bulletin issued as of 5:00 p.m. local time on Friday.
- Mayon Volcano shows signs of restiveness (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Mayon alert level raised after steam, crater glow spotted (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- 4 foreigners, 1 tour guide killed in Mayon volcano (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Explosion rocks Mayon Volcano (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Casualties after Mayon spews ash (rappler.com)
- Mayon Volcano-Phreatic Eruption (naomispenny.blogspot.com)
- Expert warns of new activity at deadly Philippine volcano (rappler.com)
- Mayon volcano ‘in deadly eruption’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Mayon Volcano Erupts, Spewing Rocks And Ash And Killing 5 Climbers In Philippines (huffingtonpost.com)
- Expert warns of new activity at deadly Philippine volcano (newsinfo.inquirer.net)