Military Suicides Hit Epidemic Levels
• Unimaginable stress, irrepressible memories, psychoactive prescription drugs make lethal combination
By Pat Shannan
With what must be one of the strangest statistics in the history of wartime, the Pentagon has released the fact that more soldiers are dying overseas by committing suicide than from combat wounds —about one a day. July 2012 was the worst on record, a month that saw 38 soldiers take their own lives and with 349 recorded for the year. These figures have doubled in the past decade.
More alarming yet is the report that America’s returning vets are committing suicide at the unprecedented rate of more than 20 each day—“one every 65 minutes,” reported Daily News of New York City—but there is no official answer as to why this happening.
Is it the post-traumatic stress from repeated tours in war zones or Big Pharma’s drugs that are being used to treat it?
Using figures from the National Violent Death Reporting System, Portland State University noted that male veterans kill themselves twice as often as their civilian counterparts and that female veterans are three times more likely to commit suicide than civilian women.
Figures gleaned from the two wars showed while 6,460 died in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan in the past 11 years, those United States soldiers who died by their own hand is estimated to be greater than that. Approximately 2.3M Americans have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and 800,000 of those service members have been deployed multiple times.
Writer Anthony Swofford, who sounded this alarm last year said, “I was in danger of becoming such a statistic,” after serving four years in the Marines and seeing combat action in Kuwait during the Gulf War.
- Military Suicides Hit Epidemic Levels (americanfreepress.net)
- Military Suicides Hit Epidemic Levels – Is it Stress or the Drugs Used to Treat it (cchrint.org)
- Military suicides hit epidemic levels – is it stress or the drugs used to treat it (sott.net)
- 22 US War Veterans Commit Suicide Every Day (infiniteunknown.net)
- Record Numbers of US Military and Veteran Suicides (veteransnewsnow.com)
- Record Number of US Military and Veteran Suicides (veteranstoday.com)
- The Last Letter: A Message to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney From a Dying Veteran (aquariusparadigm.com)
- Education Ministry approves of textbooks that reveal Imperial Army ordered WWII Okinawa suicides (japandailypress.com)
- Soldier Suicides (counterpunch.org)
- Most suicides ever for Army, military (mysanantonio.com)