By JG Vibes
March 15, 2013
Months ago I wrote about how Occupy Wall Street was raising money so they could buy up debt at random and pay it off, in a brilliant campaign of radical agorism.
The effort that I am talking about is called “Rolling Jubilee” and the stated mission on their website is to:
“Buy debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, we abolish it. We cannot buy specific individuals’ debt – instead, we help liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal.”
This idea has brought about many success stories. The group recently announced through their website that they erased over $1 Million in debt from emergency rooms in Kentucky and Indiana.
The average debtor owed around $900 and we will be abolishing the debt of over 1,000 people! We are sending the letters to the debtors as we type this. We are very concerned with the privacy of debtors, but if any of them come forward and want to share their stories, we will make them public. This will be the second in a series of purchases of medical debt. For each one, we will announce it on this blog with extended details.
We’ve also been working long and hard to make sure our finances and operations are as transparent as possible. The all-volunteer Board of Directors, along with the RJ sub-committees (tech, messaging & debt buying) and countless activists throughout the Strike Debt and Occupy Wall Street networks have been working diligently to ensure the Rolling Jubilee accomplishes its mission with dignity, transparency and political effectiveness.
As a friend, supporter and also a critic of the occupy wall street movement over the past year and a half, it has been exciting and interesting to see the loose knit, decentralized movement transform and grow into many different branches that are taking a more local and decentralized approach than we saw from the protests last year.
- OWS Affiliated Group Purchases $1 Million Worth of Emergency Room Debt and Erases it (intellihub.com)
- OWS Affiliated Group Purchases $1 Million Worth of Emergency Room Debt and Erases It (secretsofthefed.com)
- Occupy offshoot forgives $1M in people’s debt (money.cnn.com)
- Occupy’s ‘Operation Rolling Jubilee’ just freed people from $1 million in debt (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Your Debt Is For Sale At 5 Cents On The Dollar – Just Not To You (notthesingularity.com)
- Rolling Jubilee | A Bailout Of The People By the People (forbes.com)
- Occupy Wall Street Has Raised Enough Money To Abolish $11,236,570 Of Personal Debt (crooksandliars.com)
- Occupy Wall Street Has Raised Enough Money To Abolish $11,236,570 Of Personal Debt (boldprogressives.org)
- I-Team: NJ Writes off Millions in Debt, Won’t Say Who (nbcnewyork.com)
- In Debt (propheticsteps.wordpress.com)