Beachgoers told to stay OUT of the water as tens of thousands of sharks are seen migrating along the Florida coast
PUBLISHED: 17:19 EST, 6 March 2013 | UPDATED: 18:36 EST, 6 March 2013
Tens of thousands of sharks have been spotted along South Florida’s coast, closing down beaches across the area and forcing swimmers out of the water.
The sharks are heading north after migrating to the south for the winter in such droves that experts believe swimmers could be within 60 feet of a shark while in the water in the Palm Beach area.
Several beaches have been closed to swimmers as red flags dot the sand.
Craig Pollock, a lifeguard superviser at Midtown Beach, told the Palm Beach Daily News that Tuesday was the the first day he has seen the sharks out in such massive numbers.
‘We got here this morning and they were thick, really thick,’ he said on Tuesday. ‘They were frenzied and chasing bait all the way up to shore. They were practically right on the sand.’
Dr. Stephen Kajiura, an associate professor of biology at Florida Atlantic University, researches shark migration and has been monitoring sharks across Palm Beach County since 2011.
‘Coming into March, we’re getting tens of thousands of sharks close to shore,’ he said. ‘In one flight from the Boca Raton Inlet to the Jupiter Inlet, we counted over 15,000 sharks less than 200 yards from shore.
‘That’s 1,000 sharks per square kilometer. If you were a swimmer, you would probably be within 60 feet of a shark.’
- Sharks Force Beach Closings in Palm Beach County (blogs.browardpalmbeach.com)
- Sharks, by the thousands, swimming off Florida coast (news.yahoo.com)
- Thousands of Sharks Migrate Off South Florida Coast (nbcmiami.com)
- Sharks migrating along Palm Beach (wptv.com)
- Sharks invade waters of South Florida (newsnet5.com)
- Thousands of sharks spotted off Florida coast (VIDEO) | The Sideshow – Yahoo! News (globalrumblings.blogspot.com)
- Thousands of sharks off Fla. east coast (wcpo.com)
- Thousands Of Sharks Spotted Migrating Off Florida Coast (fox2now.com)
- Thousands of sharks spotted in Florida (kshb.com)
- Thousands of sharks migrating north off Florida’s coast | Video (tcpalm.com)