Text and Photos by Scott DeLarm
Edited by Prof. James F. Tracy
My partner and I became fed up with the mainstream media’s depiction of what took place in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012.
So on January 20 we traveled there from our home in Ottawa, Canada in an effort to visit the sites and respectfully approach the locals.
Before we even got off the highway there was a display of dozens of American flags on the shoulder. There is a large tented memorial located just off the freeway. The tent had a sign on the outside, “Sandy Hook Memorial Never Forgotten.”
Inside the tent was a chaplain who asked that I not take any photos. There were hundreds of stuffed animals and candles as well as children’s art from around the country–if not the world. Inside was also a donation jar that was at mid-afternoon close to full of money.
We signed one of the boards with condolences from Canada. I saw adults and children inside the tent on the two visits we made. No one was there who was impacted directly. I asked the chaplain if she had seen any children whom had been impacted. She did not answer.
We spent January 21 in Newtown visiting the Sandy Hook School and Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire House, Gene Rosen’s residence, the 100 Church Hill Restaurant (and pub), the Newtown Bee offices, as well as the Newtown Police Department.
We found that the school can not be seen from the front when coming down Riverside Road which is the only access to the school passing the fire house. This may explain why there was no “media” photos of the broken / shot out glass at the front.
Dickenson Road was closed with layers of orange cones and numerous “No Trespassing” signs. The entire school is now enclosed with fencing, barbed wire, no trespass and surveillance signage.
- The Sandy Hook Tragedy: An Inquisitive Visit to Newtown, Connecticut (sott.net)
- An Inquisitive Couple’s Visit to Newtown, Connecticut SANDY HOOK (tatoott1009.com)
- My Visit to Newtown – An Independent Sandy Hook Report (sgtreport.com)
- Sandy Hook Tragedy: An Inquisitive Visit to Newtown, Connecticut (willyloman.wordpress.com)
- The Sandy Hook Tragedy: An Inquisitive Visit to Newtown, Connecticut (2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com)
- Newtown Board of Ed. Adopts NRA Initiative, Wants More Armed Police At Schools (pjmedia.com)
- Visit to Newtown Bee (aangirfan.blogspot.com)
- Newtown Children Record “Over The Rainbow” (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Newtown children to sing at the Super Bowl (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Billy Graham Rapid Response Team chaplains return from Newtown (charlotte.news14.com)