Published on Jan 31, 2013
Israeli settlements in the Occupied West Bank violate international law, and the country must “immediately” withdraw all settlers from such areas, UN human rights investigators have said.
Israel has not co-operated with the inquiry, set up by the Human Rights Council (HRC) last March to examine the impact of settlements in the territory, including East Jerusalem.
“Israel must … cease all settlement activities without preconditions [and] must immediately initiate a process of withdrawal of all settlers” from the occupied territories, the fact-finding mission concluded in a report released on Thursday.
Al Jazeera’s Nicole Johnston reports from Jerusalem.
- UN inquiry says Israel must end settlements (aljazeera.com)
- UN inquiry says Israel must remove settlers (worldbulletin.net)
- Israel must remove all Jewish settlers from occupied West Bank – UN inquiry (rt.com)
- UN report says Israel could be prosecuted for war crimes over settlements (telegraph.co.uk)
- Israel settlers ‘violate rights’ (bbc.co.uk)
- U.N. rights inquiry says Israel must remove settlers (Reuters) (newsdaily.com)
- UN rights investigators urge Israel to remove settlers from West Bank (panarmenian.net)
- UN Inquiry: Israel Must Remove All Jewish Settlers from Occupied West Bank (leaksource.wordpress.com)
- Israel must withdraw all settlers or face ICC, says UN report (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- UN inquiry says Israel must end settlements (rinf.com)