A dolphin tangled in fishing line sought help from a diver in the waters of Hawaii.
The amazing encounter on January 11 was captured on video and the diver, Keller Laros, spent the better part of eight minutes tending to the needy mammal who readily accepted the help.
Mr Laros was leading a group of snorkelers for a manta ray dive experience off the Big Island’s Kona International Airport when the dolphin squealed out.
The diver explained, ‘The way he came right up and pushed himself into me there was no question this dolphin was there for help.’
The group were enjoying the aquatic sights when suddenly they heard a dolphin cry and the bottlenose dolphin swam in their direction.
Mr Laros told KITV how he soon noticed that the dolphin’s movements were inhibited because it was entangled in fishing line and a hook was lodged in its pectoral fin.
The mammal allowed the human to work to help the dolphin break free.
‘I was trying to unwrap it, I got the line fishing hook out of the pectoral fin. There was a line coming out of his mouth. But, the line wrapped around his pectoral fin was so tight and he had cuts both front and aft,’ said Laros.
‘I was worried if I tugged on it, it might hurt him more. I was able to cut the fishing line and unwrap it.’
- Stricken dolphin who ‘asked’ Hawaii diver for help: Moment mammal stuck on fishing line pushed itself into scuba instructor and waited patiently to be freed (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Dolphin Tangled in Fishing Line Approaches Divers for Help (Video) (treehugger.com)
- WATCH: Wild Dolphin Asks Divers to Help Free Itself from Hook (ecorazzi.com)
- WATCH: Dolphin ‘Asks’ Divers For Help After Getting Caught In Fishing Line (huffingtonpost.com)
- Video captured of dolphin rescue off Kona (kitv.com)
- Amazing video of dolphin seeking help from scuba divers (americablog.com)
- Incredible moment bottle-nose dolphin stuck on fishing line pushed itself toward scuba instructor. . . and waited patiently to be freed (sott.net)
- Amazing Footage Of A Diver Freeing A Trapped Dolphin (buzzfeed.com)