The city of Chicago agreed today to pay a record $22.5 million to a woman who was released from police custody in 2006 and instead of being taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, she was released into a high crime area where she was gang raped and plummeted seven stories.
Christina Eilman, was 21-years-old when the crime occurred and she suffered permanent brain damage from the fall and has needed constant medical care ever since.
Eilman, who is bipolar, was taken into police custody at Midway Airport after suffering a mental breakdown on her flight from California.
Rather than bring Eilman to a hospital, police released her after 29 hours in custody, despite her parents calling at least nine times to warn them about her mental health status and that she was having an episode.
Police later testified at a deposition hearing that she was visibly agitated and should have been taken to the hospital. Witnesses said she was throwing herself against the bars in her jail cell.
Eilman, a former UCLA student, was released near a housing project in a crime-ridden neighborhood on the city’s notorious South Side when she encountered the sex fiends who attacked her.
She was dressed in just short shorts, a cutoff top and boots and was without her cellphone.
After being gang raped at knifepoint, she either fell or was pushed from a seven-story window, she suffered severe brain trauma and the 27-year-old will not recover.
‘I’m embarrassed to think that a poor girl like this would have been so callously treated by members of the Chicago Police Department,’ Alderman Edward Burke said, according to CBS/Chicago.
Her family had been seeking as much as $100 million in damages for pain and suffering and to cover Eilman’s never-ending medical bills.
- $22.5 Million Proposed Settlement In Chicago Police Department Case (drx.typepad.com)
- Committee to consider settling cop misconduct cases for nearly $33M (givemeliberty01.com)
- Chicago closer to settling police suits for $32M (cnsnews.com)
- Chicago Closer to Settling Police Suits for $32M (blackamericaweb.com)
- Chicago to pay $33M to settle police cases (upi.com)
- City Council To Weigh $22.5M Settlement In Bipolar Woman’s Lawsuit (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Lawyers for Chicago propose $22.5 million settlement to bipolar woman that was raped and nearly died after police arrested her at airport, then released her in dangerous neighborhood without her phone. (politicalcrazyness.tumblr.com)
- Chicago may settle suits against police for $32M (sfgate.com)
- Finance Committee Backs Nearly $33M In Settlements Of Police Lawsuits (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Chicago closer to settling police suits for $32M (kvue.com)