- Commander John W Price, 42, oversaw SEAL Team Four, which was training Afghan police in Uruzgan Province, Afghanistan
- Father of a young daughter Jillian, 9, is also survived by his wife Stephanie
- SEALs have suffered heavy casualties in Afghanistan
The leader of Navy SEAL Team Four, one of the most senior commanders in the elite world of special operations, has died after apparently committing suicide in Afghanistan, it was reported today.
Commander John W Price, 42, was found dead in his quarters with a gunshot wound on Saturday – just three days before Christmas.
Cmdr Price was based in Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Virginia, near Norfolk and had been in the military for more than 23 years.
He leaves behind a wife, Stephanie and a nine-year-old daughter Jillian, who both live in Virginia Beach.
The commander is originally from Pottstown, Pennsylvania.
He commanded six platoons, two-dozen SEAL commandos and numerous support staff, deployed in Uruzgan Province, where they were conducting counter-terrorism missions and training police in remote parts of the country.
SEAL Team Four is one of nine teams of special operations troops. The most famous of the combat groups is the classified SEAL Team Six, which conducted the raid that killed Osama bin Laden in May 2011.
A U.S. military official said the death ‘appears to be the result of suicide.’ The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the death is still being investigated.
‘The Naval Special Warfare family is deeply saddened by the loss of our teammate,’ said Captain Robert Smith, commander of Naval Special Warfare Group Two, which manages all Virginia-based Navy SEAL teams.
‘We extend our condolences, thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, and NSW community during this time of grieving.
‘As we mourn the loss and honor the memory of our fallen teammate, those he served with will continue to carry out the mission.’
- US Navy Seal’s apparent suicide in Afghanistan under investigation (guardian.co.uk)
- Navy SEAL Commander In Afghanistan Dies Of Apparent Suicide (huffingtonpost.com)
- U.S. Navy SEAL commander dies in Afghanistan (news.yahoo.com)
- U.S. military probing navy SEAL commander suicide in Afghanistan (panarmenian.net)
- US Navy SEAL Commander Found Dead In Afghanistan In Apparent Suicide (ibtimes.com)
- Official: Navy SEAL died of apparent suicide (cnsnews.com)
- Navy SEAL Commander’s Death Investigated as Possible Suicide (abcnews.go.com)
- US commander dead in Afghanistan in suspected suicide (worldbulletin.net)
- Official: Navy SEAL commander dies of apparent suicide while deployed in Afghanistan (vancouversun.com)
- US Navy SEAL dead in Afghanistan in reported suicide – Reuters (reuters.com)