President Romney coordinating Hurricane Response (for GOP states only)
We had reported earlier that Mitt Romney, in an attempt to use Hurricane Sandy for his own political benefit, was “impeding” hurricane relief efforts.
It seems, sadly, that Romney didn’t learn his lesson.
He’s now in a full-blown Hurricane Sandy recovery mode, coordinating relief efforts with GOP governors, even though it’s not entirely clear what Romney knows about disaster relief, or how a presidential candidate who’s not in office can even offer any assistant at all, other than some of millions as a donation to the Red Cross. Romney has found that disaster “opportunity” he was looking for throughout the entire campaign.
Mitt Romney continues to interfere with Hurricane Sandy response in an effort to use Sandy as an “opportunity” to bolster his presidential bona fides.
.@andreamsaul: Gov. Romney has also been in touch with [VA] Governors Bob McDonnell and Chris Christie about storm preparation
Democratic Hurricane Victims Needs Not Apply
Interesting that Mitt Romney appears to only be calling Republican governors. Oh that’s right, Mitt Romney doesn’t think of the 47% who live in the other half of the country. But in all seriousness, if this weren’t a political stunt meant to make an “opportunity” out of national disaster, Mitt Romney wouldn’t be calling states based on the political affiliation of the governor – he’d be calling the worst hit states.
Though, it’s not entirely clear what candidate Romney knows about storm preparation, and how exactly candidate Romney can help those states. In fact, Romney’s calls are taking up the time of governors who should be focusing on saving lives. Romney knows that. So why is he calling them? What did they discuss? Did the campaign come up?
Romney Says Feds Shouldn’t Coordinate Disaster Relief. But Fed Candidates? Okay!
Not to mention, it’s interesting that Mitt Romney wants to close down FEMA, because he doesn’t think the federal government does a good job at disaster relief – it’s “immoral” to spend money on disaster relief when we’re running a deficit, Romney said – yet he thinks that he, as a federal candidate, can be quite helpful at disaster relief.
So, the federal government doesn’t matter for disaster relief, but federal candidates do.
How long until we see Romney in a FEMA jacket offering to help? Can a Paul Ryan visit to another closed soup kitchen be far off? (Followed by the inevitable attempt by Romney voters to destroy the hurricane relief center that Romney and Ryan visit.)
Here’s the latest shot of Hurricane Sandy from moments ago:
Hurricane Sandy latest image, from NOAA.
- As Hurricane Sandy Strikes, Mitt Romney Wants to Drastically Cut Federal Disaster Relief (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- MITT ROMNEY: It’s ‘Immoral’ To Borrow Money For Disaster Relief (businessinsider.com)
- Romney and Ryan think disaster relief speding is ‘immoral’ and want to privatize FEMA (queerlandia.com)
- “You’re On Your Own”: Mitt Romney Called Federal Disaster Relief “Immoral” (mykeystrokes.com)
- Mitt Romney Refuses To Talk About FEMA After Hurricane Sandy Event (huffingtonpost.com)
- Remember: Romney Opposes Disaster Relief (bilerico.com)
- Romney’s pathetic disaster rally (digbysblog.blogspot.com)
- Get Rid of FEMA? Right-Wingers Push Insane Privatization Scheme in the Wake of Hurricane Sandy (alternet.org)
- As Hurricane Sandy Strikes, Mitt Romney Wants to Drastically Cut Federal Disaster Relief (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Romney campaign “hindering” and “impeding” Hurricane Sandy relief using Ohio as a political event in a time of crisis…. (mahilena.typepad.com)