Politics, Legislation and Economy
A bipartisan group of senators has introduced a bill that would exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana. The bill, if passed, would get around the DEA’s refusal to differentiate hemp from marijuana and could result in American farmers being allowed to grow the industrial crop.
The bill, Senate Bill 3501 , was introduced last week by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) and cosponsored by Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), and Jeff Merkley (D-OR). It would amend the Controlled Substances Act to make clear that hemp is not a drug, even though it is part of the cannabis family. Hemp has much lower levels of THC than marijuana grown for recreational or medicinal purposes.
The bill marks Wyden’s second attempt this year to get hemp de-listed. He tried to offer an amendment to the farm bill the Senate passed in June to do just that, but the Senate leadership ruled the amendment was not germane.
“I firmly believe that American farmers should not be denied an opportunity to grow and sell a legitimate crop simply because it resembles an illegal one,” Wyden said. “Raising this issue has sparked a growing awareness of exactly how ridiculous the US’s ban on industrial hemp is. I’m confident that if grassroots support continues to grow and Members of Congress continue to hear from voters then common sense hemp legislation can move through Congress in the near future.”
The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Meanwhile, another hemp bill, House Resolution 1831 , which would also clarify that hemp is not marijuana for the purposes of the Controlled Substances Act, languishes in the Republican-controlled House.
- New Hemp Bill Introduced in US Senate (informationliberation.com)
- Dem senator advocates for industrial hemp bill – The Hill’s Video (familysurvivalprotocol.wordpress.com)
- Senator Wyden Wants Hemp Farming Allowed Into The Next Farm Bill (inquisitr.com)
- Sen. Ron Wyden’s attempt to expand production of industrial hemp fails (oregonlive.com)
- Sen. Wyden pushes to repeal ‘outrageous’ ban on industrial hemp (rawstory.com)
- 8. Industrial Hemp Farming Act Introduced In Senate (12160.info)
- Industrial Hemp Farming Act Introduced In Senate (12160.info)