Published on Jul 23, 2012 by AlJazeeraEnglish
In the 38 years since UNESCO launched its World Heritage programme to help preserve cultural and natural treasures, over 900 sites have earned the distinction.
But some conservation experts say that the uncontrolled tourism development that follows World Heritage designation may do more harm than good for the very sites the programme was meant to protect.
- The Heritage Curse : Is UNESCO World Heritage Status a Mixed Blessing? (amateurarchaeologist.wordpress.com)
- The Heritage Curse : Is UNESCO World Heritage Status a Mixed Blessing? (trowelsedge.wordpress.com)
- Six natural wonders declared World Heritage Sites (iaspreparationonline.wordpress.com)
- Xanadu added to UNESCO World Heritage lineup (aytacgok.wordpress.com)
- UN designates Western Ghats as world heritage site (ndtv.com)
- Rio de Janeiro now a world heritage site (bigpondnews.com)
- Photos: New sites join the UNESCO World Heritage List (abcnews.go.com)
- Grand Pre named UNESCO World Heritage site (cbc.ca)