Inside Story – Has Egypt’s revolution been hijacked?
Published on Jun 19, 2012 by AlJazeeraEnglish
Egypt’s Supreme Military Council, SCAF has issued a series of amendments to its own Constitutional Declaration that effectively limit the powers of the country’s incoming president, and many would argue, cement the authority of the army generals in this post-Mubarak era.
SCAF also seeks to control the drafting of Egypt’s new constitution.
The once all-powerful position of president has been made largely ceremonial and the move to civilian rule has been put on hold in the interests of what the military calls “national stability”.
- US alarm as Egypt army undermines election result – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Egypt presidential elections: choice between Muslim Brotherhood and the Mubarak era (telegraph.co.uk)
- Manthorpe: Egypt’s junta strips civilian president of authority (vancouversun.com)
- Egypt military to oversee laws, budget: army (dailystar.com.lb)
- Will Muslim Brotherhood Lead Egypt’s Next Revolution? – Voice of America (voanews.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood Wins Egypt Election, But Does It Matter? (ibtimes.com)
- SCAF expands its power with constitutional amendments (azzasedky.typepad.com)
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood calls military power decree ‘null and unconstitutional’ – @guardian (guardian.co.uk)
- Amid Contested Presidency, Egypt’s Military Council Completes ‘Coup’ by Decree (commondreams.org)
- May God be with Egypt ~ by Khalid Amayreh (occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com)
- On eve of Egypt runoff election, revolution feels all but dead (kansascity.com)
- Egyptians: damned if they do and damned if they don’t (azzasedky.typepad.com)
- #EgyptDecides: Egypt Voted, But Big Questions Remain (voanews.com)
- Egypt Islamists claim presidency (thenationonlineng.net)
- Egypt’s Liberals: “We Were Duped” (blogs.the-american-interest.com)
- Egyptian Islamists, Military Face Off Over Future – Voice of America (voanews.com)
- Egypt Islamists claim election victory, army grabs powers (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Breakdown of the Silk tradition (d101588800197269260.typepad.com)
- On Eve of Election, Is Egypt Going Full Circle on Revolution? (news.antiwar.com)